Monday 26 December 2011

Faith restored

When I thought life was all about meeting wrong people and encountering wrong situations, I was shown a placard which said- “Have Faith”! On a second thought, saying ‘wrong’ is subjective, so let me say- I was turning into a disbeliever, to be specific.

April 11, 2009- apart from it being a day to meet friends, I thought there wasn’t anything else remarkable about it. You will soon get to know how I improved as a person on this ‘just-another-day’. I returned after a Saturday get-together, to reach my bed and crash for the day- unaware of what was in store for me.

The next morning, I get a call saying that I left my wallet in the cab which we had taken the previous night. My mornings on a Sunday generally starts late, you can say almost post . But it was in the morning and there I was wide awake, trying to touch ground with what had just struck me. My jaw dropped and I almost fell off my bed. The cabbie who identified himself as Rakesh, did some research which I thought was commendable and I was really touched. It almost sent me to an introspective self analysis after seeing the honesty, innocence and genuineness of this person.

Rakesh’s research consisted of tallying my name on the debit card with my visiting card and get my personal number by calling up the official number printed on the card. I was ashamed, overwhelmed and inspired by this man who was holding the banner high and asking me to have faith in myself, in people and the environment around me.

I borrowed money to reach to the spot to collect the “over-night star” wallet. I was running short of money, Rakesh even ended up paying the balance for the cab which I took to reach him. I was now forced to think whether I was dreaming or was I walking the road, awake. My wallet was packed like a gift with a newspaper and locked in his cab, which Rakesh smiled and handed over to me. He was shying away from my ‘thankyous’. I was in a state of being ‘awestruck’ by this real life hero. He denied taking any money. He refused to even take the balance amount which he ended up paying. He defined what I thought was an age old concept of ‘heroism’. I stood there, learning a lesson from a person whom otherwise I wouldn’t have noticed. The situation taught me. The person taught me. Good people exist. People perish, faith doesn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment